Monday, May 15, 2006

A Journey on Dalal Street!

Year 2005- 2006, Lots of Ups and couple of downs in BSE SENSEX!

My Friend, I have an interesting story to share with you! Here you Go!

It all started 5 years back (2001) when I got my first exposure to Equity Markets! During that time not many common people are exposed to Equity Markets! Still I remember the day when ICICI representative approached me @ office to explain about ICICDirect.com. Initially I was bit skeptical about online trading and stock markets. But being an explorer & enthusiastic I decided to go for it. Started trading and got some decent perks from my investments. All of this without knowing much about stock market, online trading and market dynamics.

Then went to ICICI bank to attend online trading session and initial jargons were clarified. In due course of time, switched company and I was busy in building my career life. Trading becomes inactive in my account and I haven’t touched the online account for almost 3 years after switching to new company.

Turning point came in the name of TCS IPO during August 2004. Group of friends pooled lump some amount towards this IPO from an investment point of view without any big strategy in mind. We started realizing the ROI in short term. With confidence gained in IPO started to explore more on direct Equities. Then within a span of 1 year I could able to build a robust portfolio with stocks from many sectors. (IT, Oil & Gas, Telecom, Cement, Bank, Engineering, Tobacco, Utilities, Chemicals). Many thanks to Internet Technology and Booming Market like India!!

Year 2005 was a remarkable Year for Indian Stock market. I enjoyed witnessing the Roller Coaster Ride of BSE Sensex index and learnt many tactics by being the part of the show. Due to my young age and being a bachelor everything went with a strategy of Aggressive Trader. Fingers were burnt and realized losses as well as gains. The pace was never slowed down, Jumped into Margin Trading and again burnt my fingers. Since I have built a pretty decent portfolio, this droved me to increase my risk taking capabilities to larger extent.
Also I understand the thriving need of having strategy in place to play smart in the booming and volatile market.

Strategy moved from short term aggressive trader to short term investor then changed to long term investor. The need for Diversified investments leads to Mutual Fund Exploration. Top Performing Mutual Funds were added to my portfolio and realized the power of MF. All Sleepless nights turned out to peaceful nights.

Again being an explorative and enthusiastic guy I wanted to play game in Futures and Options too! Last Friday (12 May 2006) I did my first Options trading. Thanks to my friend ‘Seenivasan’ who shared his experience on Options. Options trading are very high risk nature but yet promising. I am already in red zone with Options Trading. But never mind, with the active experience gained in past 2 years I am confident to arrive on smart strategy for playing Derivatives game too!

To summarize, Today I have Diversified portfolio which consists scrip from Equity Markets, IPO(s), Option(s), MF(s), Bonds, NSC(s) etc. And with a strategy that constitutes a combination of short term, long term & aggressive nature. It looks fuzzy right; you can also build your own diversified investment portfolio over a period of time. Its not that hard too, all you need have is eagerness to know about market dynamics, thrive to earn money and willingness to play the game.

I am also hearing lot about commodity markets! So what next! Keep Moving Forward :)-

So don’t miss to play the game! Start playing and be a part of the game!

Just posted my Image!

5 comments:

Seenivasan said...

'A Journey on Dalal Street' - interesting title. Wish you a very happy & exciting journey on D-Street.
Commodities next, huh? Great...
Looks like lot of money is lying in commodities market.

If you could share specific interesting stories which led you to choose any stocks or related to your burning fingers or the high risk that you took blidnly and turned out to be a worthy one that would be great.

Arasan said...

I would like to quote Reliance Industries as far as wealth creation. My entry into Reliance was accidential, just like that picked from BSE SENSEX 30 companies list without knowing much about the fundamentals. But later I read news on Reliance Demerger Plan. That looks more promising so bought some more. The ROI from Relaince is more than 110% within a year. Thats really amazing right.

Burnt Fingers!
Maxwel Industries is one example where I burnt my fingers unnecessarily without analsying much on fundamentals.

Burning Fingers!
Reliance Natural is another example, entered at a wrong time. Reason is again investment without much fundamental analysis.

Anonymous said...

Interesting and exciting to read about your venture into the stock markets. You have led the way for novices like me to tread your path. Trading is still a taboo among the past generation of our 'conservative' society. To them it is nothing more than gambling. But, hey, the days are changing and so is over means of wealth creations. Gone are the days of buying FD's from established companies and banks.

Happy investing.

Siva said...

nice choice of subject - stocks :-)

Though I read a lot about stocks and the markets, I wasn't investing any money in them. It was your lead that made me invest in stocks. I am happy I did it.

So entering options market,huh ? all the best, share that experience too.

Anonymous said...

Atlast found time to open this link and read it as well....

In full day training for the last three days and there was lot of back
log to be cleared every day evenings...

So now u r a complete Investment Man.

Share with me ur MF investment details to get a feel of it....

To be very open, Praba throve me with the NPTC share and Mysore infy
guys on the INFOSYS share from where my journey started towards stock
market.

Now planning MF and then what??....do explain on F&O....